Header

Christ Church Frederica
Annual Tour of Homes


Tour Stops on the 2020 Tour of Homes
 


Tour Stop # 1 --- ST. IGNATIUS CHURCH
Tour Stop reached by car and accessible 10-5

2906 Demere Road

Morning Prayer is held daily at 8:00 am (except Sundays) and Holy Eucharist is celebrated at 5:30 pm on Saturday and 5:00 pm on Sunday. 

 

SAINT IGNATIUS CHURCH was built in 1886, as a Mission of Christ Church, Frederica, for the African-Americans living on Saint Simons Island. Anson Dodge had Saint Ignatius and three other mission churches built on the island and, under his direction other Episcopal missions were built on the mainland. The hurricane of 1897 – recorded at the time as a cyclone – almost destroyed the little church, and it was rebuilt. Originally located off a little lane leading to Union Memorial (aka Stranger’s) Cemetery and facing East, St. Ignatius was rebuilt in 1898 on Demere Road, facing South. It is built in the traditional cruciform, of heart pine, which inside naturally aged to its present color, the same as Christ Church, Frederica.


Tour Stop # 2 --- Ocean Blvd East Beach
Tour Stop reached by car and accessible 10-5

   
   

Tour Stop # 3 --- WWII Homefront Museum
Tour Stop reached by car and accessible 10-5

 

Tour Stop # 4 --- East Beach
Tour Stop reached by car and accessible 10-5

 
 


Tour Stop # 5 --- Sea Island
Tour Stop reached by bus from Gascoigne Bluff parking lot

 
   

Tour Stop # 6 --- Sea Island
Tour Stop reached by
bus from Gascoigne Bluff parking lot

   
   

Tour Stop # 7 --- Sea Island
Tour Stop reached by
bus from Gascoigne Bluff parking lot

   
   

Tour Stop # 8 --- Sea Island
Tour Stop reached by
bus from Gascoigne Bluff parking lot

 

Tour Stop 9  --- Christ Church & Parish House
Tour Stop reached by car and accessible 10-5
Tour Headquarters
6329 Frederica Road

       The parish house of historic Christ Church serves as tour headquarters for the Annual Tour of Homes and Gardens. 
        Tea sandwiches, cookies and drinks are offered to our guests by the gracious ladies of the church.  We invite you to purchase one of our fabulous cookbooks.  As a remembrance of the tour, a token of friendship, or simply an addition to a growing cookbook collection, the Christ Church, Frederica Cookbook encompasses quality, beauty and history visible in its namesake. 
         The tour headquarters will make a comfortable stopping place during the day and restroom facilities are available.
    

 

 

 

Christ Church
(more data)

Christ Church had its beginning when General Oglethorpe came to St. Simons Island in 1736 to build the fort and town of Frederica.  He brought with the soldiers and settlers, an ordained clergyman of the Church of England, the Reverend Charles Wesley, in order that the colony might have the services of the church from its start.  The Board of Trustees ordered a chapel to be built and had three hundred acres of land set aside for the support of the minister and the church.  It is on some of that land that Christ Church stands today.  In 1884, the remains of the old church were torn down, and the present building was erected on this site in 1886 by the Reverend Anson Green Phelps Dodge, Jr., in memory of his first wife, Ellen Ada Phelps Dodge. 

Sunday services are held at Christ Church, Frederica, at 8 am, 9:15 am, and 11:15 am.  Weekday evening prayer is held at 5:00 pm daily and Holy Eucharist is celebrated at 11:30 am on Friday. Consult the church website at www.christchurchfrederica.org for more details. 

Wesley Memorial Gardens

           
Established in 1986 to commemorate the ministries of John and Charles Wesley, the Wesley Memorial Gardens offer a calm retreat on Tour Day.  Dedicated in 1988, the two acre garden has as its focal point an 18-foot high Celtic Cross, sculpted from Georgia granite.  Gravel paths wind throughout the natural setting, which has been impeccably landscaped to showcase some 60 varieties of 4,000 azaleas and other native shrubs. 

Directions:  Take Frederica Road north towards the round-about with Lawrence Road. Travel north on Frederica Road from the round-about.  The Church will be on your left in approximately one mile.  The Gardens are across the street from the Church.

 


XX