Tour Stops on the 2018 Tour of Homes
Homes will be added as they are selected
Tour Stop #
ST. IGNATIUS CHURCH
Tour Stop # --
2906 Demere Road
Morning Prayer is held daily at 8:00 am
(except Sundays) and Holy Eucharist is celebrated at 5:30 pm on Saturday
and 5:00 pm on Sunday.
SAINT IGNATIUS CHURCH was built in 1886, as a
Mission of Christ Church, Frederica, for the African-Americans living on
Saint Simons Island. Anson Dodge had Saint Ignatius and three other
mission churches built on the island and, under his direction other
Episcopal missions were built on the mainland. The hurricane of 1897 –
recorded at the time as a cyclone – almost destroyed the little church,
and it was rebuilt. Originally located off a little lane leading to
Union Memorial (aka Stranger’s) Cemetery and facing East, St. Ignatius
was rebuilt in 1898 on Demere Road, facing South. It is built in the
traditional cruciform, of heart pine, which inside naturally aged to its
present color, the same as Christ Church, Frederica.
Exeter, England. The Rt. Rev. Henry I. Louttit, Bishop of Georgia,
blessed the new windows April 29, 2001.
The Altar rail is hand-carved. The Lectern, Bishop’s chair,
Priest’s chair, and Baptismal font were all donated by Lovely Lane
Chapel. They were placed here when that church was de-consecrated and
used as a recreation center. That building has been re-consecrated and
is now Lovely Lane Chapel at Epworth-by-the Sea Conference Center. The stained glass windows
behind the Altar were made in Philadelphia by the Willet Company. The
hand depicts God the Father, the lamb depicts God the Son, and the dove
depicts the Holy Spirit. The candlesticks on the Altar were brought from
England in 1858. The bell was installed in the 1980's and is from the
WWII Liberty Ship Henry Wynkoop. The reed organ was built
circa 1900 and installed at Christ Church, Frederica in 1933. The
original hand pump is still intact and the pipes are merely
decorative. For years, the windows in the Church were translucent,
jalousie-panel glass. Ten new stained glass windows were designed in
2000 by M.B. Keys, a parishioner of Christ Church Frederica, and made by
the Wippell Company of
THE ORGAN was originally in Christ Church, Frederica; a gift of the
Berolzheimer family of Little Saint Simons Island and Stockton,
California. It is a reed action pump organ. The original pump handle can
still be seen on its side. When electricity came to the north end of the
island the organ was electrified. It was placed in Saint Ignatius in
Tour Stop #
Tour Stop # -- Musgrove
Musgrove Retreat and Conference Center, under the stewardship of The
Brenn Foundation, is a beautiful picturesque hidden sanctuary on the
banks of Village Creek that takes you back in time. Musgrove is rich
with history from its construction in 1938 by Nancy Reynolds Bagley,
daughter and heiress to the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco fortune to President
Carter’s first pre-inaugural cabinet meeting.
Musgrove was named after Mary Musgrove, a pioneer acclaimed as the
Pocahontas and Sacagawea of the South and known as a cultural liaison
between colonial Georgia and Native American societies for her peace
keeping efforts and entrepreneurship. “Musgroves” – so-called by
returning participants –has become synonymous with thoughtful gatherings
that discuss issues of topical interest and strategic, tactical and
political importance as well as family reunions and weddings.
Musgrove boasts nearly 600 acres of primarily preserved natural splendor
including marshland between Sea Island and St. Simons Island. Its six
residences were designed in the old "Low-Country" style with heavy use
of tabby and cypress along with old Savannah gray brick that emphasize
the under-stated rustic elegance of the property.
Today, the grandchildren of philanthropist Nancy Susan Reynolds continue
to lovingly maintain their grandmother's home and vision with purpose.
Recently, portions of the property were sold to the St. Simons Land
Trust to create more community park and recreational space for the
6329 Frederica Road
Tour Stop # --
Christ Church Parish House
parish house of historic Christ Church serves as tour headquarters for
the 55th Annual Tour of Homes and Gardens. Worship in the
church has been continuous since 1736. The present church building is
cruciform in design with trussed Gothic roof and stained glass windows.
Docents will be stationed at the church all day on March 15th
and we invite all visitors to step over and visit with us and then
continue on to the beautiful Wesley Gardens directly across the street.
sandwiches, cookies and drinks are offered to our guests by the gracious
ladies of the church. We invite you to purchase one of our fabulous
cookbooks. As a remembrance of the tour, a token of friendship, or simply an
addition to a growing cookbook collection, The Christ Church, Frederica
Cookbook encompasses the same quality, beauty and history visible in its
headquarters will make a comfortable stopping place during the day and
restroom facilities are available.
Tour Stop # --
Christ Church and Wesley Memorial Gardens
6329 Frederica Road
Christ Church had its beginning when General Oglethorpe came to St.
Simons Island in 1736 to build the fort and town of Frederica. He
brought with the soldiers and settlers, an ordained clergyman of the
Church of England, the Reverend Charles Wesley, in order that the
colony might have the services of the church from its start. The
Board of Trustees ordered a chapel to be built and had three hundred
acres of land set aside for the support of the minister and the
church. It is on some of that land that Christ Church stands today.
In 1884, the remains of the old church were torn down, and the present
building was erected on this site in 1886 by the Reverend Anson Green
Phelps Dodge, Jr., in memory of his first wife, Ellen Ada Phelps
Sunday services are held at Christ Church, Frederica, at 8 am, 9:15
am, and 11:15 am. Weekday evening prayer is held at 5:00 pm daily and
Holy Eucharist is celebrated at 11:30 am on Friday. Consult the church
for more details.
Wesley Memorial Gardens
Established in 1986 to commemorate the ministries of John and Charles
Wesley, the Wesley Memorial Gardens offer a calm retreat on Tour Day.
Dedicated in 1988, the two acre garden has as its focal point an
18-foot high Celtic Cross, sculpted from Georgia granite. Gravel
paths wind throughout the natural setting, which has been impeccably
landscaped to showcase some 60 varieties of 4,000 azaleas and other
Directions: Take Frederica Road
north towards the round-about with Lawrence Road. Travel north on
Frederica Road from the round-about. The Church will be on your left
in approximately one mile. The Gardens are across the street from the